Thursday, September 3, 2009

Houses

They sure build big houses today. Every house I see being built is enormous. Then again people now days don’t have yards. They’ve taken up their entire yard with their big house. Houses have more rooms too. The house I grew up in had a small square living room, one bathroom, two small bedrooms, and a kitchen that had a kitchen table in it. My parents bought it right after they got married, and they still live in it today. It still has the same paint, the same carpet, and it suits them just fine.

Houses built today serve a different purpose. I don’t think people spend as much time outside anymore. They’ve brought the outside inside, or at least they’ve tried. Houses have dining rooms now, and thats where they put the table. That never made any sense to me, cook the food in the kitchen, and cart it into a whole other room. And then when you were done, you have to cart it all the way back. I suppose were not outside as much and could use the exercise. I’ll never understand dens either. Every den I’ve ever seen has a TV in it and perhaps a bookshelf or two and minus the mounted deer head, it looks and functions a lot like a small living room. Most people don’t go in their dens very much, or their family rooms for that matter. Now a family room is what exactly? From what I can see, it’s a living room without the TV. When we wanted to do family things when I was a kid, we turned off the TV, and stayed in the living room. But then again, we had families back then.

Most bedrooms have their own bathrooms today. We had one bathroom, and nobody ever locked the door when they were in it. All five of my brothers and sisters and I would brush our teeth at the same time. When I was seven and my four year old brother had to pee, we both peed at the same time. People don’t have basements anymore either. They have rec rooms. I suppose this is where you do stuff inside instead of outside now. I think people use them mostly for storage though, seems I have to step around a lot of stuff when I am in other people’s rec rooms. People are so lazy they won’t even do stuff inside anymore. And people sure do have a lot of TVs. Every bedroom has a TV now. The living room has a TV. The den has a TV. The rec room has a TV. The kitchen has a TV. Bathrooms have TVs. I know a lot of people who have TVs in their garages. I don’t think we need all those TVs. When we were kids, we had one, and it had four channels. We would get bored watching the same four channels and we’d go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment