Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fast Food

I have read that Americans have an obsession with fast food. I’ve seen enough headlines that I suppose I believe it. I myself have a habit of making a trip through the McDonalds drive thru every now and then, and I do it for one simple reason: the food tastes good. A lot of experts claim the reason we consume so much fast food is because we live busy lives that leave little time for preparing a meal. I have to disagree. I just don’t think people know how to cook any more. When I was a kid, we would go to my grandma’s house on Sundays. I remember how good her cooking was. I also remember how my mother’s cooking wasn’t as good. As I got older, I attributed the taste of my grandmother’s cooking as something of a sentimental thing rather than superior cooking skills. However, in recent years, I’ve had to revise my theory once more. My grandmother was simply a better cook. My mother, a fine cook herself, wasn’t as good however. And my sister barely knows how to cook at all. I am not exactly sure what to attribute the degenerating cooking skills to. My mother follows the same recipes as my grandmother did, but the food doesn’t taste the same. I suppose it could be the time, or maybe the love. Whatever it is, there’s a secret ingredient missing from today’s home cooking. I am bound and determined to figure out what it is. First, I need to take a trip to Burger King to mull things over.

No comments:

Post a Comment